Painting & Decorating
Level 3 NVQ
Get Assessed By The Best! Start Your NVQ Journey With North West Skills Academy
OSAT (On Site Assessment & Training)
Your assessor will visit you between 2-4 times (in general) to collect evidence relating to the qualification you’re doing. Using methods such as Observation (watching) and Questioning/Discussion they will collect what’s needed to prove your competence at your trade.
A third party reference (Witness Testimony) can be used as another source of evidence stating the work you do on site and that you are capable of working safely.
Videos and recorded discussions are sometimes used as they are a good way of collecting substantial evidence in both practical ability and level of understanding
Your assessor will work with you to plan the assessments and methods used taking into account any of your individual needs.
The timescale between your initial induction for the course and completion varies. However, 3-4 months is a realistic time although it can be longer or even shorter depending on the candidate’s ability and availability.
- Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
- Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace
- Confirming the occupational method of work in the workplace
- Confirming work activities and resources for an occupational work area in the workplace
- Applying paint systems to complex surfaces by brush in the workplace
- Developing and maintaining good occupational working relationships in the workplace
- Preparing surfaces for painting/decorating in the workplace
- Hanging standard paper wallcoverings in the workplace
- Hanging wide-width vinyls in the workplace
- Producing and applying complex stencil designs in the workplace
- Applying coatings by the airless spray method in the workplace 17
- Applying coatings by the air spray method in the workplace
- Hanging wallcoverings to complex surfaces in the workplace
- Producing comb textured finishes in the workplace
- Applying metal leaf to surfaces in the workplace
- Producing quality replica marble finishes in the workplace
- Hanging specialised paper wallcoverings in the workplace
- Producing quality replica grained finishes in the workplace
- Installing coving and decorative mouldings in the workplace
- Applying coatings to produce textured finishes in the workplace
- Producing broken colour effects in the workplace
- Producing stencil designs using pre-cut stencil plates in the workplace
- Producing straight grained effects in the workplace
- Producing marbling effects in the workplace
It allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in painting and decorating, including working on a construction site or in domestic and commercial premises. Candidates will learn how to prepare background surfaces for and applying paint to complex surfaces by brush and roller from given specifications, as well as hanging wall coverings to complex surfaces.
There are no formal entry requirements to take this qualification. This qualification can be undertaken without any previous training or qualifications in this subject area, however we do require at least 3 years experience in the trade.
On completion of this qualification you will have obtained the skills, knowledge and understanding and demonstrated competence to progress on to a higher level qualification in the same or similar occupational area or enable entry into supervisory and management positions within the workplace.
Industry will accept the qualification on its own as entry to a job role.
For further details on other qualifications available in this occupational area, see our Qualification Search.
Pay in Instalments
You must make the final payment upon completion and it must be completed within 6 months.